As the world becomes more and more knowledgeable of the potentially hazardous chemicals found in plastics, many parents are searching for durable alternatives to plastic baby bottles. While glass is a tried and true favorite, there is a new type of baby bottle material quietly creeping to the forefront of healthy living. I’m talking about stainless steel. If you didn’t even realize that stainless steel baby bottles even existed, you are not alone.
Until 2 weeks ago, I had never heard of stainless steel baby bottles. But around that time, I was told that our wonderful glass bottles were not welcomed at my son’s daycare. So, I was desperately searching for another alternative. Lo and behold, I happened across an entire underground world of glistening stainless steel options.
There are many benefits to stainless steel baby bottles.
- They are durable and not prone to breakage.
- Unlike plastic bottles, they are not prone to discoloration and/or melting.
- Many have the capability to grow with the child because the lid can be changed to a sippy cup and/or straw bottle.
- Due to the above 3 bullet points, these bottles can save you money in the long run.
- They do not leach hazardous chemicals when heated, like many plastic bottles.
Stainless steel bottles also have some drawbacks.
- The metal heats quickly and can be slightly uncomfortable to hold, when hot.
- Since you cannot see into the bottle, it can be difficult to measure the correct amount of breast milk or formula and difficult to tell how much your baby has eaten; however, you can easily use a liquid measuring cup to help you with this issue.
- Initially, the bottles tend to be more expensive than plastic bottles. But as stated above, this may not really be a negative, due to their durability and longevity.
Related Read: How to Love Your Dog After Having A Baby
There are a variety of stainless steel bottle brands.
(affiliate links below)
Today’s modern parents have a variety of choices available to them, when it comes to stainless steel bottle brands. With such a variety it can be overwhelming to find the one bottle that will work best for your family’s needs. To help you out, I am providing an overview of 5 different brands below.
Think Baby – $12.29
This is the brand I purchased for my son. After spending so much money on my glass bottles, I didn’t want to feel like I was throwing away money on duplicate supplies just to please the daycare. So, I loved that these bottles can grow with my son. By changing out the lid, these bottles can convert to sippy cups and/or straw bottles. Unfortunately for us, my son never took to these bottles and we wound up leaving the daycare as a result. But, that is a story for another day. I don’t think that my son’s resistance to using these bottles is a reflection on the bottles themselves. I think it speaks more to the fact that he was already used to the glass bottles and babies can be resistant to change.
Organic Kidz – $22.12
These bottles come in fun patterns and also convert into a sippy cup. It does not have straw bottle capability. The price includes multiple bottle nipples and the sippy cup top.
Related Read: Sugar Baby, The Breaking Point Of A NICU Mom
Pura Kiki – $17.49-$22.99
These bottles come in plain stainless steel or in brightly painted colors. As per Amazon reviews, the painted ones are prone to chipping (darn!). These bottles also convert into sippy cups and straw bottles. They also have insulated and un-insulated options.
Klean Kanteen – $16.99
This is a basic bottle and does not convert into a sippy cup or straw bottle. Because of this, it is slightly less expensive than some of the other bottles.
Natura – $20.99
These bottles are insulated, I didn’t find anything to indicate that is has sippy cup or straw bottle capability.
When exploring non-plastic bottles for your little bundle, I think it may be wise to purchase 1 bottle from a few different bands. This way, you can really get a feel for what they are like before making your final decision. Between the various glass and stainless steel bottles, modern parents are truly lucky to have so many choices. As always, best wishes in making the best decision for your family and happy shopping!